09 February 2008

Saturday Morning Listening

I recently stumbled (via Leopolis) across the site Excavated Shellac, "a weekly blog dedicated to 78rpm recordings of folkloric and vernacular music from around the world."

This was a happy find, reminding me that I should be looking for more interesting music and not just listening to Justin Timberlake, old hardcore from the early 1990s and whatever mp3 jazz collections I can find at the local markets. (Who could resist the complete recordings of Thelonius Monk for $5?)

This week ES hosts a stunning accordion solo by the Azeri artist Temiuv Demirov. You should give it a listen.

If that gets your blood boiling over, you could cool down with this Turkish treat.

p.s. Leopolis also gets props for bringing Awesome Tapes from Africa to my attention.

p.s. #2: NYT runs "A Rat in the Kitchen," a weird call for the revival of authentic Chinese food in America, instead of the "coarsened cookery" or "bastardized food" that was "prepared first to feed a worker and then to please an American palate that dotes upon overcooked vegetables and sauces thickened with cornstarch and sugar." I'm all for the proliferation of Chinese cuisine in America that more resembles that found in China, but the authenticity plug rubs me the wrong way. Then again, I grew up eating samosas with ketchup, only later switching to Maggi hot and sweet sauce (not a move towards authenticity, mind you).

The bigger point is: I hate the way the New York Times does weird ethnic human interest pieces to match days of note (Chinese New Year, Indian Independence Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc.).

2 comments:

lizzie b said...

This morning I took my semi-monthly reconnoiter around Sunset Park/north Bay Ridge, and discovered not one, but two new no-pork halal Chinese restaurants on 5th Ave. near 67th St., right where Brooklyn's biggest Chinatown and NYC's only tiny Turkish outpost turns into a growing Little Egypt. I wonder what cranky old Fred Ferretti has to say about that instance of food-tradition blending -- probably sends him into a blinding rage.

Me, I walked right past to my favorite halal butcher (Leader Meats) and waited for my lamb shoulder to be cut into stew chunks while I admired the whole lambs and sides of beef hanging in the glass-fronted fridge.

BusterPh.D.Candidate said...

I know that you're trying to get me homesick with tales of Brooklyn butchery. And I'm particularly vulnerable since my favorite cheburek stand burned down and isn't being replaced.

But I've discovered chicken curry bliny and a Georgian place that will serve a huge pyramid of shashlik skewers (pork, lamb and salmon) when you order for the table, with a candle inside a red pepper in the middle. Then they put a pile of fries on the side. It all looks a little like a meat-yurt with a stack of potato logs outside to keep those nomads warm.

You know how I'm a sucker for presentation.