10 December 2008

Photo Fragments from West Bengal: Street Views

Just back from a little over a week in Kolkata. Now I'm digging into the work of unpacking my bags, processing the experience, and moving on to slam through some writing in the next two weeks. Will post a few thoughts on my trip in the days to come.

In the meantime, here's the beginning of the visual download.

Dairy and tea stall across the street from my temporary abode
The Ratio Aspect (note size of water delivery "truck" relative to bicycle)
Brutish sandals for Kolkata streets
CPI(M) graffiti in Howrah, if I remember right

Shot taken by Lizzie B from cycle-rickshaw in/near Bolpur


Stuck next to this guy in traffic for a good minute

5 comments:

MasterGote said...

Like Moscow, but warmer, and larger animals...

Also, who is Nasiruddin? Why does that sound familiar?

Buster said...

Nasiruddin, as far as I can tell, is a local Howrah politician (Borough IV, Ward 36).

The name, however, is fairly common--15th-century sultans and Bollywood actors share it. If I had to guess, I would speculate that you're thinking of someone else, unless, dear Gote, you have a secret interest in local Bengali politics.

On the Moscow comparison, I've made it before (with some obvious differences). It has never made residents of either city very happy.

kg said...

MasterGote, could this be the dude you're thinking about:
http://thatcageygirl.blogspot.com/2008/11/good-ol-molla-nasreddin.html#links

Buster said...

Ah, kg, that would make more sense than a Howrah politician or a medieval sultan...

MasterGote said...

Ahhhhh, I remember now! Nassirudin is the real name of the Mughal emperor Humayun, who brought Persian themes of kingly life back to India and basically started (or rather, painters in his employ started) the Mughal tradition of miniature painted manuscripts. I wrote a paper about it for South Asian Civ in college. Itch scratched, thank you wikipedia.